Monday, September 27, 2010

Entry #1

"The University Colloquium brings together students from all five colleges in a series of interdisciplinary learning experiences. These experiences are designed to address the ecological perspective outcome in relations to other university outcomes and guiding principles."


My expectations for learning have actually differed from the first few weeks of school. Although my class has only met 3 or 4 times, my expectations are constantly changing; in a positive way. Like all Colloquium students, I thought this was going to be abother boring environmental class. Having to spend hours learning and memorizing names of animals and ecosystems. However, I have learned it is much more than that.

I enjoy being outdoors at times and these field trips have actually been enjoyable. I have been relating my readings to our field trips also. The outcomes so far from this class have been awesome. Our first couple field trips were a campus tour, a visit to the Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary, and a campus wet walk.


Here's us ladies and gentlemen. Florida Gulf Coast University. Through both our campus tour and wet walk I have learned a great deal about our campus history and our overall interaction with nature. An example is the newly installed solar panels on campus. I have also heard and now realize that FGCU practices and promotes environmental sustainability.

Like I said I have always loved nature but with this class, already, I have deepened my thoughts towards the outdoors. On our Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary field trip I really got to open up to nature. The sites were beautiful and I found the boardwalk very peaceful.


We were given time to take a break on our walk on the boardwalk to write down some notes or thoughts in our journals. Here's what I wrote:
I feel like I could be anywhere I wanted. I could just get lost in nature here; in a good way. It's quiet and peaceful and the sounds are sounds I feel that I have never heard before in a way.
My favorite note I wrote was: This place feels like it's protecting me from the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment